Business Development Director (Midwest) (Architecture)
What you will do:
The Business Development Director operates as an executive level strategic leader in the Performance Infrastructure Living Spaces team; a fast-paced, growth-oriented, entrepreneurial team in Johnson Controls Building Solutions North America. The Business Development Director role requires a dynamic, high-energy, highly effective, and engaging leader with a strong foundation in business leadership, understanding of federal regulations. c-suite relationships, and a proven track record for managing opportunities through the entire sales cycle. We are seeking a high achieving, proactive leader who is self-directed, internally motivated and operates with personal integrity.
The Business Development Director creates customer demand for partnership-based solutions that allow customers to achieve their mission and long-term goals for sustainability and infrastructure needs to serve the customer's customer (residents, stakeholders, customers). This demand requires a leader motivated by high achievement to drive sales growth and significant deal structuring for high impact, long term renewable partnership approaches with the customer. The successful leader effectively leads and mobilizes enterprise teams (sales, federal and state program development, HUD Liaison, engineering, life cycle) and leadership to commit to drive the unique strategic account strategies for sales growth and relationship management.
The position will be involved entirely in the affordable multi-family & senior housing market space. You will be expected to able to become familiar with federal (US Department of Housing and Urban Development) regulations, guidelines, notices, and procurement strategies relating to making capital and energy efficient improvements within the affordable housing market. The building makeup of this market can include anything from groups of single-family homes to large multi-building, high rise, residential developments containing thousands of homes and in many locations will encompass significant portions of the real estate portfolios in metropolitan and rural areas.
This position is responsible for acquiring new clients as well as securing partnerships through our existing account base and multiple sales channels. The position will be responsible for leading and partnering with other salespeople across the organization to position and successfully sell performance-based opportunities. The Business Development Director will have achieved success as an advisory salesperson in our highly competitive market with extensive experience in developing Executive-level relationships.
How you will do it:
• Adding customer equity by creating valued business partnerships with c-suite customers; proactively identifying business opportunities for the customer; conveying a firm understanding of the customer's business and political drivers.
• Developing strategic solutions for customers that appropriately consider available facts, constraints, competitive circumstances, strategic priorities, and probable consequences; clearly connecting solutions to business needs
• Provides significant industry expertise and client business acumen. Sells higher level services to the customer, enabling competitive advantage for them in the marketplace. Provides thought leadership and capitalizes on cumulative industry, product, and company-specific experiences. Captures best practices and advises and facilitates the management and movement of information.
• Passionately selling the organization's strategy; continuously raising expectations of sales performance; encouraging and supporting team efforts to achieve and exceed challenging sales goals.
• Ensuring that the customer's perspective is a driving force behind strategic priorities, business decisions, organizational processes, and individual activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs; promoting and operationalizing customer service as a value.
• Creating and executing influence strategies that gain commitment and organizational buy-in for customer solutions; persuading key stakeholders to act by demonstrating how the work will advance shared interests and business goals and it is tied to our vision.
• Positioning long-term service-based solutions as the foundation of a strategic partnership between Johnson Controls and the customer to achieve customer desired business outcomes.
• Initiating and maintaining strategic global relationships with stakeholders and potential partners inside and outside the organization (e.g., customers, peers, cross-functional partners, external vendors, alliance partners) who are willing and able to provide the information, ideas, expertise, and/or influence needed to advance understanding of business issues and achieve business goals
• Using one's knowledge of economic, financial, market, and industry trends to understand and improve customer results; using one's understanding of major business functions, industry trends, and own organization's position to contribute to effective business strategies and/or tactics.
• Developing demand generation activities that are relevant to Living Spaces vertical market segment and will play a lead role in devising strategies to promote and develop programs in these forums with tangible business results.
• Leading a pursuit team including development resources, engineering, cross-functional Johnson Controls resources, and external partners including finance, construction, and design team partners with management of partnering agreements across the deal pursuit eco-system.
• Training and mentoring Johnson Controls sales partners across our channels to market in order to successfully advance affordable housing program strategies within our existing customer base and positioning for broader impact in target customer pursuits.
• Leading the development of specific vertical market strategic planning for affordable housing programs and supporting the development of the broader regional and vertical market Johnson Controls strategic planning to include the long-term growth of current and future solutions to drive re-occurring revenue solutions throughout the organization.
What we look for:
• Bachelor's degree in business, engineering, or related discipline required. Years of experience to be considered in lieu of Bachelor's degree.
• A minimum of ten years of sales experience in related industry or financial sales at the C-level, including three to five years of direct sales or sales management experience.
• Excellent initiative, and interpersonal communications skills.
• Demonstrated ability to influence the market at key levels.
• Ability to travel 30-40%.
• Accomplished strategic seller.
• Demonstrates a commitment to integrity and quality in business.
• Extensive understanding of the Energy, Infrastructure, and Services industry.
• In-depth customer knowledge
• Business/financial management expertise
• Acts as a Strategic Partner, Trusted Advisor
• Proven sales and/or client relationship management experience
• Ability to work with cross functional teams in order to achieve customer objectives
• Excellent leadership skills necessary to operate at CxO level – selling and delivering multi-solution portfolio engagements
Johnson Controls International plc. is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any other characteristic protected by law. To view more information about your equal opportunity and non-discrimination rights as a candidate, visit EEO is the Law. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation during the application process, please visit here.